Over the weekend I wrote a thread on this via twitter: Self-Care Thread Unfortunately, it did not get any attention. This is probably due to the fact that people don’t really care about these things, as much as I do, or maybe I wrote this thread at the wrong time of day. Either way I thought I’d write this blog post, as I want to use this blog as a way to vent out my thoughts, feelings or share experiences. If anyone cares about what I have to say, I’m sure they will come here and have a read.
Just as I stated on Twitter, self-care is more than just relaxing in strawberry flavoured bubble baths. I do believe that taking care of your physical body is important, but I feel that taking care of your inner is equally important (if not more). However, when I do come across self-care threads it seems as though that part is neglected. When I say taking care of your “inner being” I am talking about taking care of your mind (mental) and spirit.
Self-care is about showing love to yourself and doing things to show that you appreciate you. To me, this should also include feeding yourself knowledge and connecting with the universe. Protecting your energy in this stressful world in which we reside is important. I cannot emphasize this enough.
While living in a very social media based world, we tend to think that self-care are only things that you can post on Instagram, E.G Spa Days. However self-care to me ALSO includes things that can progress you in life spiritually and mentally.
Here are a few examples of what I mean:
- Reading a book– this can be a book about how to help you overcome whatever situation you are currently facing. Last year I started reading books about the mind, consciousness, spiritually & black health.
- Communication- If you are currently going through a hard time, try and confide in someone you trust. Having someone who cares about you and will listen to you, is important. This person may be able to offer you advice that may be beneficial to you.
- Journal- If for whatever reason, you struggle to express your emotions, writing down your thoughts/feelings may be useful. Start of by writing down what has happened, how it’s made you feel and why. This will help you to understand and connect with yourself more.
- Saving – Saving money is you keeping your future in mind. Decide how much you want to save, whether it is daily, weekly, or monthly. Self-care isn’t always about spending money.
- Yoga– this is a spiritual, mental and physical practice. I recently joined a yoga class at my gym. Aside from it aiding me to become more flexible, I was also astonished by how it has helped me to connect with myself more, especially when focusing on my breathing when doing certain stretches and acknowledging how my body is feeling.
- Meditation– Setting aside just 5-20 minutes a day to partake in this, will work wonders for your mind. I’ve recently started to do this daily (mostly before bed) and it has added so much clarity into my life.
- D.I.Y Happy Jar– I did a video on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_P4aLBoOh4&t=2s
- Going for a walk– this sounds so simple doesn’t it? However, how often do we go for a walk and just appreciate life and our beautiful surroundings? Most of all, it’s free and yet we still do not make good use of it!
- Removing toxic people from your life – having bad-minded people continuously drain your energy is not ideal! Get rid of such negativity.
My list could go on, however, I hope you understand my overall point. Self-Care can be anything you want it to be, so long as it brings you physical or inner (mental/spiritual) positivity. There are no set rules in this self-care game. Sometimes, just lighting up incense and editing a vlog is my form of self-care.
The most important thing is that you are making time for you, and showing yourself love. You are precious. Your energy is precious. Don’t burn yourself out making time for everyone and everything else, apart from yourself. You need to make time to love you too. Xx